‘Law & Order: SVU’ MEGA Scoop: Mike Tyson Petition Hits 10,000, Tyson Fires Back, NBC Moves Episode, and Meek Petition Against Showrunner Warren Leight
January 31, 2013
Because so much has gone on with NBC’s long-running Law & Order: SVU (within the past 48-72 hours), which is now surrounded by controversy, we’re going to use bullets to explain what has gone on, because it’s so much and I will be rambling if I go through it piece by piece. The bullets below aren’t in any specific order.
- Mike Tyson in his TV Guide interview on his SVU episode titled “Monster’s Legacy” (guess SVU-ers are calling him Monster Mike):
- “[But] I didn’t rape nobody or do anything like that, and this lady wasn’t there to know if I did or not. I don’t trip on that stuff. I’m not trying to get rich and famous; I’m just trying to feed my family. Why should they care? Since I’m clean and sober five years, I haven’t broken any laws or did any crimes. I’m just trying to live my life.“
- Prior to his TV Guide interview, advocate Marcie Kaveney appeared on CNN/HLN (Showbiz Tonight), and the ladies of ABC’s The View weighed in (and defended) on Tyson on SVU, plus various local and global news outlets covering the controversial guest spot.
- NBC yesterday announced that they’ve moved the episode up a week on Feb 6th, swapping it with another episode (which would have featured Marica Gay Harden in her first SVU appearance with the new guys, Danny Pino and Kelli Giddish).
- And amidst this, a GoPetition.com petition was created to unseat current SVU show runner/executive producer, Warren Leight from the series, because he ignored the weekly viewers pleas to recast Tyson/request the network to pull the episode.
It is a meek petition with only 43 signatures as of now. People said Ms. Kaveney’s petition wouldn’t go anywhere… anyone still saying that now (see below)? One petitioner, an April Cohen of Atlanta, Georgia; said of the Tyson casting and show runner Leight,
- “I loved watching L&O: SVU for Rollins AKA Kelli Giddish. But after I learned this about Mike Tyson, I feel so bad. Not even Kelli can keep me tuned into the show now. I hate it, the producers aren’t even making an attempt to do anything about this either, despite upset throughout the fan base. Warren Leight can turn a blind eye if he wants to, something’ll come back and poke him in it.“
- And on January 31, 2013; the petition against Tyson guest starring on SVU reach it’s 10,000 signature, amongst those is NCIS star Pauley Perrette’s signature — which NCIS remains TV’s and CBS’s #1 drama, the recent episode earning over 22 million viewers — for the 3rd week in a row for the season to reach over 20 million viewers.